What To Eat And Drink:
5. Raw Honey
A daily dose of raw honey raises levels of health-promoting antioxidants in the body. This helps to boost the immune system and is one of several soothing strep throat home remedies. According to research published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, honeys healing property is due to its antibacterial activity, ability to maintain a moist wound condition and its thick consistency that helps to create a protective barrier to prevent infection. Studies have found that medical grade honeys have strong bactericidal activity to fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria that cause several life-threatening infections in humans.
6. Bone Broth
Bone broth helps to keep you hydrated and it provides minerals that you need to boost your immune system. Its soothing and easy to eat when you are suffering from a sore throat or swollen tonsils due to strep throat. Bone broth contains minerals in forms that your body can easily absorb, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon and sulphur. It also contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine, the compounds sold as pricey supplements to reduce swelling and joint pain.
Instead of spending hours making bone broth from scratch, use protein powder made from bone broth to help you recover from strep throat quickly. Drink warm bone broth throughout the day.
7. Herbal Tea
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Strep Throat Home Care
Until the antibiotics start to work, these home treatments can help you or your child feel better:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers: Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to bring down a fever and ease the sore throat. Don’t give aspirin to children and teens. It can cause a rare but serious condition called Reyeâs syndrome.
- Rest: Stay home from school or work. You need extra rest to help your body fight off the infection.
- Gargling: Rinse with a mixture of a quarter-teaspoon of salt and 8 ounces of warm water to relieve a scratchy throat.
- Lozenges and hard candy: Older kids can suck on these to feel better. Avoid giving small pieces of candy to children 4 and younger.
- Lots of fluids: Do this especially if you have a fever. Water and warm liquids such as soup or tea soothe the throat and keep you hydrated. If cold feels better on your throat, suck on a frozen pop or ice chips. Avoid orange juice, lemonade, and other drinks that are high in acid. These can burn your throat.
- Soft foods: Examples include yogurt, applesauce, or frozen yogurt. They’re easier to swallow.
- Cool-mist humidifier or saline nasal spray: Moisture can help make your throat feel better.
Steer clear of anything that might bother your throat, like cigarette smoke, paint fumes, or cleaning products.
Raw Honey And Marshmallow Root Tea
Whenever we are looking for an ingredient to soothe the pain or the swelling, raw honey and marshmallow are always our selections. Using these golden ingredients are an excellent way to alleviate the strep throat pain and swelling. Prepare a glass of warm marshmallow root tea, then stir them in raw honey to create a mixture of bacteria-fighting drink.
Also Check: What Is The Best Antibiotic For Acne Treatment
Home Remedies For Strep Throat Symptoms
The scratchy, burning pain of a sore throat can make life miserable. From sipping water to answering the phone, everyday tasks are suddenly painful challenges.
While its common to think you may have strep throat, the bacterial infection can only be diagnosed by a throat swab test.
If you test positive for strep, its important to take any prescribed medications, including antibiotics, as not doing so can lead to serious health complications such as rheumatic fever or heart murmurs.
It usually takes only a day or two after starting antibiotics to feel better, but in the meantime, there are some things you can do to help ease the symptoms, including some quick and easy home remedies for strep throat.
How Can I Help My Child Feel Better
Home care can help your child feel better while battling strep throat. Give plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration, such as water or ginger ale, especially if he or she has had a fever. Avoid orange juice, grapefruit juice, lemonade, or other acidic beverages, which can irritate a sore throat. Warm liquids like soups, sweetened tea, or hot chocolate can be soothing.
Talk to your doctor about when your child can return to normal activities. Most kids can go back to school when they’ve taken antibiotics for at least 24 hours and no longer have a fever.
Also Check: Natural Oral Antibiotics For Acne
Will Strep Throat Go Away On Its Own
We highly recommend being seen by a provider if you are concerned you may have strep throat. Strep throat typically goes away in three to seven days with or without antibiotic treatment. However, if you dont take antibiotics, you can remain contagious for two to three weeks and are at a higher risk for complications, such as rheumatic fever.
Whats more, complications resulting from the bacterial infection can lead to increased susceptibility to other viral infections like influenza which can be fatal.
Pro Tip: If you have been diagnosed with strep throat, you can help prevent repeat infections by changing your and your families toothbrushes and thoroughly disinfecting all surfaces that may have been in contact with the strep virus.
Is The Patient Not Responding To Antibiotics
Even when all strep infections are laboratory confirmed with throat cultures or rapid strep detection tests, and the antibiotic is finished, failure to respond to treatment still occurs. The highest treatment failure rates observed are with penicillin about two-thirds of presumed strep throat infections are treated with either penicillin or amoxicillin. Penicillin and amoxicillin treatment failures vary geographically, and the incidence of penicillin treatment failures for strep throat infections may be rising. Patients most likely to experience a penicillin or amoxicillin treatment failure are those who have recently received treatment with these drugs and are then retreated with the same antibiotic.
You May Like: One Dose Antibiotic For Std
When Should I See My Doctor About A Sore Throat
In general, you should see a healthcare provider if:
You have a fever. You should see a healthcare provider if you have a sore throat and fever to make sure you dont have strep throat. This is especially important for children and teens.
You think you could have COVID-19. Sore throat is a common symptom of COVID-19 illness.
Your sore throat is getting worse. A sore throat from a virus should go away within a few days. It also shouldnt get worse over time. If your sore throat isnt getting better after 2 to 3 days you should see a healthcare provider even if home remedies are giving you temporary relief. You could have a sore throat for a different reason.
You have concerning symptoms. This includes neck swelling, trouble swallowing, voice changes, trouble speaking, or pain that makes it hard to move your neck.
Can Strep Throat Be Prevented Or Avoided
Strep throat is very contagious. It can be hard to protect yourself when you are around people who are infected with strep throat. Try to avoid people who have strep, when possible. If you must be around someone who has strep throat, be sure to wash your hands frequently. Hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of germs.
Also Check: Does Miralax Interfere With Antibiotics
What Does Strep Throat Look Like Symptoms
Some of the signs of strep throat will be visible. They may include
- white patches on the tonsils or throat,
- dark red splotches or spots on the roof of the mouth, and
- a skin rash.
Those white spots are pus pockets. In addition, some patients may exhibit swollen, tender lymph nodes in the neck and some with fever above about 101-102 F. The signs and symptoms are the same for both children and adults.
Although these signs may indicate strep, a visit to the doctor is necessary to make a full determination. A full diagnosed is impossible by visual signs alone.
Adults are less likely to have this disease than children. For school-age children, their odds of a sore throat being strep are about 20% to 30%. For adults, the odds are more like 5% to 15%.
Natural Remedies For Strep Throat
Due to its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, honey is an effective way to treat pain, inflammation, and infection. Since it quickly fights bacteria, it will relieve your strep throat symptoms in an instant.
Vitamin C- Lemon
Vitamin C has powerful antibacterial properties which successfully treat the infection and relieve the pain in your throat. Since lemons are packed with this vitamin, they are a perfect addition to your tea, together with some honey.
When it comes to treating strep throat, essential oils can be quite useful. To prepare a home remedy for strep throat, you can use grapefruit, lemon, thyme, lemongrass, cinnamon, or lavender essential oil.
Just add a few drops of the oil you choose in some water and heat. Then, do a steam inhalation using the steam from the solution for about 10-15 minutes. You can repeat this treatment multiple times a day.
Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the most effective natural remedies for fighting infections is apple cider vinegar. This type of vinegar has various uses and benefits, and treating strep throat is one of them. Add three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of warm water, and stir well. Gargle with this solution and youll soon notice positive results.
As you can see, there are other effective and much safer ways to treat your strep throat besides antibiotics. Using some of them will help you solve your throat problem in a simple and natural way.
Recommended Reading: Antibiotics Commonly Prescribed For Uti
Natural Remedy For Strep Throat
- 3 Tablespoons of raw, organic honey
- 3 to 5 Slightly crushed cloves of organic garlic
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Cayenne powder
Mix these together and take one teaspoon of this mixture every hour. Simply swallow the garlic cloves whole, you dont need to chew them. Continue making this mixture and eating a teaspoon of it every hour until your sore throat is completely gone. Dont drink or eat anything for at least 20 minutes afterwards so these ingredients can do their work on your throat.
This mixture is very soothing and even those who dont care for garlic will find that, when mixed with honey, it tastes pretty good and works super-fast. Many people with strep throat lose their voices and this should restore your voice in a matter of hours! This mixture might seem too simple to fight something as strong as strep throat, but its absolutely 100 percent effective.
Be sure that the honey you are using is real honey, raw and organic, the way nature intended it. A great deal of the stuff you buy at the store isnt honey at all, but some type of corn syrup with a bit of coloring and perhaps a couple drops of pollen. Raw honey has about 5,000 enzymes, 27 minerals, 22 amino acids and lots of antibacterial properties that will help to kill that strep throat dead it its tracks. Find out more everything you wanted to know about raw honey.
Cayenne pepper will bring fresh blood to the area to promote healing. Its also high in vitamin C, which supports the immune system.
Side Effects Of Treatments
If left untreated, strep throat bacteria may spread to other parts of the body and lead to complications. These include:
- Scarlatina or scarlet fever is a red skin rash that feels like sandpaper. The rash fades in about 7 days and the skin may peel.
- A rare kidney disease called poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis may occur, which is the result of your bodys immune system trying to fight off the group A strep bacteria. Among its symptoms are dark reddish-brown urine and swelling in the face, hands, and feet.
- Small scaly teardrop-shaped spots that suddenly appear on the middle of the body and limbs called guttate psoriasis may occur. The spots may be itchy but arent contagious. Usually mild cases can be treated at home, but it may be severe in those with weakened immune systems.
- Pus can collect behind the tonsils. This is known as tonsillar abscess. This happens when the bacteria spreads to the surrounding tissues.
- Rheumatic fever is a rare complication that can cause severe illness in the heart, brain, joints, and skin. It typically develops about 14 to 28 days after strep throat and can result in permanent damage to the heart valves.
Recommended Reading: What’s A Good Natural Antibiotic
What Are The Best Ones
The go-to antibiotics for strep throat are penicillin and amoxicillin.
People who are allergic to penicillins may be prescribed a non-penicillin antibiotic, usually one of:
Your doctor will select the right one for you. Always check with your doctor and take the full course of prescription antibiotics as recommended.
Signs You May Benefit From Seeing A Therapist
Its important to seek support for what matters most: your emotional well-being. Too often, we have a poor understanding of how to practice self-care, or we avoid it all together. And while self-care is something a mental health professional is likely to recommend to you, most agree that getting professional help from a licensed therapist should be a priority.
Dont Miss: Natural Tooth Pain Relief Infection
Recommended Reading: How To Get Antibiotics For Strep Throat Without Insurance
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- If I have a sore throat and a fever, should I go to the doctor?
- How long will it be before my test results come back?
- What kind of antibiotic should I take?
- What should I do to make my child more comfortable while he/she has strep throat?
- My child seems to get strep throat a lot. Could this be a problem with his/her tonsils?
- Should I stay away from my family members while I have strep throat?
What Else Do You Need To Make Your Decision
Check the facts
- You’re right. Most of the time, sore throats go away on their own. It may take a few days or up to a week, depending on the cause.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Most of the time, sore throats go away on their own. It may take a few days or up to a week, depending on the cause.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Most of the time, sore throats go away on their own. It may take a few days or up to a week, depending on the cause.
- You’re right. Taking antibiotics too often or when you don’t need them can be harmful and costly. The medicine may not work the next time you take it when you really do need it.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Taking antibiotics too often or when you don’t need them can be harmful and costly. The medicine may not work the next time you take it when you really do need it.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Taking antibiotics too often or when you don’t need them can be harmful and costly. The medicine may not work the next time you take it when you really do need it.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Most sore throats are caused by a virus, such as a cold. Antibiotics won’t work for sore throats caused by a virus.
- You’re right. Most sore throats are caused by a virus, such as a cold. Antibiotics won’t work for sore throats caused by a virus.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Most sore throats are caused by a virus, such as a cold. Antibiotics won’t work for sore throats caused by a virus.
Recommended Reading: Can Antibiotics Get Rid Of Chlamydia
Does Strep Throat Need Antibiotics
Yes, because strep throat is a bacterial infection, it must be treated with antibiotics. When a doctor diagnoses strep throat, antibiotic treatment is typically started immediately to decrease the severity of symptoms, contagious spread, and the development of serious complications such as acute rheumatic fever.
While strep throat generally goes away on its own, if left untreated by antibiotics, strep throat can lead to serious inflammatory complications such as:
- Kidney inflammation
- Rheumatic fever
- PRA or poststreptococcal arthritis, an inflammation of the joints
For children, there may also be the risk of contracting pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder, or PANDAS. This can result in many physical and psychiatric symptoms such as emotional regression, tics, sensitivity to light and sound, hyperactivity, and memory problems.
Additionally, a strep carrier that does not receive antibiotic treatment will continue to be contagious and can spread the infection to others. Antibiotics are necessary to alleviate these risks.
How To Feel Better
Some ways you can feel better when you have a sore throat:
- Suck on ice chips, popsicles, or lozenges .
- Use a clean humidifier or cool mist vaporizer.
- Gargle with salt water.
- Drink warm beverages and plenty of fluids.
- Use honey to relieve cough for adults and children at least 1 year of age or older.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist about over-the-counter medicines that can help you feel better. Always use over-the-counter medicines as directed.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Antibiotics For Dog Ear Infection
Symptoms Of Sore Throat
A sore throat can make it painful to swallow. A sore throat can also feel dry and scratchy. Sore throat can be a symptom of strep throat, the common cold, allergies, or other upper respiratory tract illness.
The following symptoms suggest a virus is the cause of the illness instead of the bacteria called group A strep:
- Joint swelling and pain
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see your doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Follow up with a doctor if symptoms do not improve within a few days, get worse, or if you or your child have recurrent sore throats.