Contact Doctor Within 24 Hours
- Urine is pink or tea color
- Taking antibiotic more than 24 hours, and sore throat pain is severe. The pain is not better 2 hours after taking pain medicines.
- Taking antibiotic more than 48 hours and fever still there or comes back
- Taking antibiotic more than 3 days and other Strep symptoms not better
- You think your child needs to be seen, but the problem is not urgent
How Long Do Sore Throats Following Surgery Last
If you require intubation during surgery, you may have a sore throat when you wake up. During intubation, an endotracheal tube is inserted through the mouth and down the throat into an airway. Intubation is used to help you breathe with a ventilator if youre unable to breathe on your own during surgery.
Postsurgical dehydration may also cause discomfort or scratchiness in the throat.
Drink fluids and speak as little as possible to avoid postsurgical sore throat. In many cases, symptoms should clear up within a few days. If you have a sore throat that lasts for more than a week following a surgical procedure, let your doctor know.
Does Strep Throat Require Antibiotic Treatment
The short answer is yes. Unlike ear infections, which can be bacterial or viral in nature, strep throat is always caused by bacteria , Moore clarifies. Therefore, best practice is to prescribe antibiotics to prevent future problems and stop the spread of the infection.
While there are times when strep could go away without antibiotics, the problem is that some of those cases could have negative outcomes, especially for very young or elderly patients, says Moore. Complications can include abscesses inside the throat or on the tonsils, rheumatic fever, and even post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, which is a rare inflammation of the kidneys.
Also Check: Can I Buy Antibiotics At The Store
Overuse Of Antibiotics Hinder The Bodys Ability To Fight Off Infections
If theyre unnecessary, why doctors prescribe with them for these conditions. To explain this controversy, David H. Newman, MD revealed that not only doctors but also patients are always looking for antibiotics. The reason is that instead of spending ten minutes or thereabouts to talk about how our bodies should fight those bacteria and infection on their own, it is much easier to prescribe with antibiotics.
In the meanwhile, antibiotics are considered to cause some unexpected outcomes. We need to fully understand that treating the infection with too many antibiotics at too many times will lead to the situation of antibiotic resistance.
To be more particular, if you use antibiotics for the very first time, it is helpful for that infection to recover quickly. However, the effectiveness does not work for the fifth or the sixth time, for example.In this case, germs and bacteria have developed their immunity to the increased use of antibiotics. Thats why the overuse of antibiotics will prevent your body from staying healthy.
What Are The Treatments For Strep Throat
Strep throat, caused by bacteria, is one type of sore throat that can be treated. It isn’t handled in the same way as sore throats caused by colds and other viruses, so your doctor will likely do whatâs called a ârapid strep testâ to be sure it’s strep
If the test is positive , theyâll probably recommend:
- Antibiotics to kill the bacteria thatâs causing it
- Rest to help you get better faster
- Over-the-counter medicines and home remedies to ease symptoms
Also Check: Can I Get Thrush From Antibiotics
When To See A Doctor
Ear infections can go away on their own in many cases, so a minor earache may not be a worry.
A doctor should typically be seen if symptoms have not improved within 3 days. If new symptoms occur, such as a fever or loss of balance, a doctor should be seen immediately.
Any sign of discharge coming from the ear would also require a visit to the doctor.
- The main symptom is an earache.
- Younger children will cry, act fussy or have trouble sleeping because of pain.
- About 50% of children with an ear infection will have a fever.
- Complication: In 5% to 10% of children, the eardrum will develop a small tear. This is from the pressure in the middle ear. The ear then drains cloudy fluid or pus. This small hole most often heals over in 2 or 3 days.
How To Reduce The Symptoms Of Strep Throat Without Antibiotics
- Gargle salt water twice a day. It helps relieve sore throat symptoms. You mix about a spoon of salt in a warm water glass. Use this water to rinse your mouth about half hour. Remove saline after gargle. This is a way to reduce the symptoms of strep throat without antibiotics.
- You should drink a lot of water. Water will soothe the throat. Lemon juice or honey-blended tea can get rid of a sore throat.
- Use a humidifier. This can help you breathe easier. Without a humidifier, you can create moisture by boiling water and placing the pot in the room for steam. In this way, strep throat will not last without antibiotics.
- Use of throat lozenges or throat. It can help reduce a sore throat. Throat lozenges or sprays that contain local anesthetic or antiseptic work well to relieve symptoms.
- Testing strep throat is an important step because bacteria can travel to other parts of the body. It will cause cardiovascular disease, septicemia, and kidney disease.
- Clean fabrics on a regular basis. Professional techniques like pressurized hot water extraction can help you tackle a wide range of bacteria that pester in your carpet, sofa, curtains, drapery or simply the couch.
I hope you have found this article useful and that it has answered some of your questions about strep throat. If you are suffering from strep throat, you should call a doctor and use antibiotics. Proper medication and care should see you feeling better within 24 hours or so.
Read Also: Antibiotics For Dogs At Tractor Supply
Sore Throat Or Strep Throat Viral Or Bacterial
Sore throats come in two varieties: viral and bacterial. The most common cause of a sore throat is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu, and usually goes away on its own. A sore throat, often accompanied by fever, headache, stomachache or rash, may indicate bacterial strep throat and requires treatment with antibiotics to prevent complications.
How Can I Help My Child Feel Better
Home care can help your child feel better while battling strep throat. Give plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration, such as water or ginger ale, especially if he or she has had a fever. Avoid orange juice, grapefruit juice, lemonade, or other acidic beverages, which can irritate a sore throat. Warm liquids like soups, sweetened tea, or hot chocolate can be soothing.
Talk to your doctor about when your child can return to normal activities. Most kids can go back to school when they’ve taken antibiotics for at least 24 hours and no longer have a fever.
Don’t Miss: What Antibiotic Used For Staph Infection
How You Get Strep Throat
Group A strep live in the nose and throat and can easily spread to other people. It is important to know that some infected people do not have symptoms or seem sick. People who are infected spread the bacteria by coughing or sneezing, which creates small respiratory droplets that contain the bacteria.
People can get sick if they:
- Breathe in those droplets
- Touch something with droplets on it and then touch their mouth or nose
- Drink from the same glass or eat from the same plate as a sick person
- Touch sores on the skin caused by group A strep
Rarely, people can spread group A strep through food that is not handled properly . Experts do not believe pets or household items, like toys, spread these bacteria.
A Sore Throat Vs Strep Throat
A sore throat and strep throat exhibit more common symptoms. The key differences are strep throat has some additional symptoms such as loss of appetite, rashes, headaches, and fever.
A sore throat is caused by viruses, other diseases, environmental factors, etc. But strep throat is only caused by the Streptococcus bacteria.
How Long Do Sore Throats Caused By Bacterial Infections Last
Bacterial infections cause sore throats less often than viruses. When they do occur, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics, such as penicillin or amoxicillin. Antibiotics can shorten the duration of a sore throat quickly. They may help reduce pain and inflammation within one to two days.
When not taking antibiotics, bacterial infections and the sore throats they cause may last anywhere from a week to 10 days.
Sore throats caused by bacteria can sometimes be associated with a more serious illness. For example, sore throats caused by a bacteria called Fusobacterium can result in a complication called Lemierres syndrome. Sore throats caused by this condition may resolve within four to five days, but can then reoccur, along with other more serious symptoms.
About Author: Lisa Coon
Lisa Coon is a Writing Coordinator for OSF HealthCare, where she has worked since August 2016. A Peoria native, she is a graduate of Bradley University with a degree in journalism. Previously, she worked as a reporter and editor at several newspapers in Iowa and Illinois.She lives in Groveland with her husband and son. In her free time she likes to cook, bake and read. She freely admits that reality TV is a weakness, and she lives by the quote, The beach is good for the soul.
Read Also: What Antibiotics Can Treat Mrsa
How Do You Feel And Why
Viruses cause many sore throats in both adults and children. A runny nose, cough and hoarseness are usually viral infections. Antibiotics have no effect on viral infections, but your doctor may suggest over-the-counter acetaminophen or ibuprofen and throat lozenges to alleviate the pain.
Common infections causing a sore throat might result in other signs and symptoms, including:
How Long Is Strep Contagious For
When you get infected, you typically start to show symptoms about 2 to 5 days after you were exposed to the bacteria. You can stay contagious for up to a month if you dont get treated. Antibiotics can prevent the infection from spreading. People who take antibiotics stop being contagious after about 24 hours.
Read Also: How To Cure Dizziness From Antibiotics
What If Its Tonsillitis Or Pharyngitis
Tonsillitis shares a lot of its symptoms with strep. It can cause your tonsils to ache for days and days, and may leave them covered in white or yellow patches. It can make it hard to swallow. But tonsillitis is not the same as strep.
Only one bacterial type causes strep. But tonsillitis can have many causes, and usually the cause is non-bacterial. That means antibiotics usually won’t help. To be certain, you can ask your doctor to swab your throat. Results take 2-3 days.
The Difference Between Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis
Tonsillitis and pharyngitis refer to the same type of infection. The only difference is where the infection appears. You probably guessed that your tonsils get tonsillitis. Pharyngitis occurs in your throat.
The Final Words For Sore Throats
A sore throat is one of the most common reasons for a sick day and a doctors visit. At the first sign of scratchiness, you wonder if it will linger or fade away in a few days. If its simply a symptom of the cold or flu, it will probably go away as your flu subsides. If it doesnt, youll need to see a doctor. And the sooner you do, the sooner those antibiotics will have you saying, Bye-bye, sore throat. You are out of here.
You May Like: What Antibiotic Is Used To Treat Trichomoniasis
Middle Ear Infection Faqs
Q: Are there any home remedies for treating a middle ear infection?A: There are a variety of natural remedies for treating a middle ear infection. These treatment methods may provide some immediate relief, however, a doctor should also be consulted in cases where symptoms persist for more that a couple of days. Remedies include:
- Salt: Heat salt in a pan, wrap it in a cloth and place the cloth against the affected ear for up to ten minutes. This should help draw out fluid from the ear and provide some relief
- Garlic or onions: The antimicrobial properties of garlic and onions give them natural pain relieving qualities. Garlic can be eaten raw. Alternatively, it can be boiled and crushed, then wrapped in a cloth and placed against the ear. It can also be cooked in sesame or mustard oil until black, strained and applied to the ears in drops
- Olive oil: Slightly heat the olive oil and apply a few drop to the ears
- Warm compress: Heat a cloth to a bearable level and place against the outer ear
Q: Are middle ear infections contagious?A: Middle ear infections are not contagious or spreading. However, part of their causes, like viral infections are contagious and spread from person to person.
Dont Miss: How Do You Say Hearing Aid In Spanish
Antibiotics Wont Stop A Common Sore Throat
Because strep throat is caused by a bacterium, bacteria-fighting antibiotics are usually used to cure the disease. This disease is less contagious and its symptoms dramatically improve after antibiotics have been properly administered.
It’s important not to overuse antibiotics though. Overuse of antibiotics threatens to create “superbugs,” microbes that are resistant to antibiotics. Every year in the United States, at least 2 million people are infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
To avoid contributing to this growing health problem, don’t try to treat viral or fungal illnesses with antibiotics. Antibiotics do not provide any benefit against viral or fungal infections. The only result of using antibiotics in these cases is the further proliferation of superbugs.
Antibiotics do not get rid of sore throats caused by the common cold. The common cold is caused by a virus, and antibiotics will not help.
Also Check: What Antibiotics Get Rid Of Bv
How Long Is Too Long To Have A Sore Throat
When not taking antibiotics, bacterial infections and the sore throats they cause may last anywhere from 7 to 10 days. In some cases, a sore throat from a bacterial infection may be due to a more serious illness. Be sure to follow up with your doctor if you have a sore throat lasting longer than 10 days.
Is Scarlet Fever Dangerous
Scarlet fever can be a serious illness, but thanks to antibiotics, it’s less common than it used to be and easier to treat.
But cases of scarlet fever have increased in recent years. For more information see GOV.UK: Scarlet fever guidance and data.
Complications from scarlet fever are rare. They can happen during or in the weeks after the infection, and can include:
Also Check: Low Dose Antibiotics For Uti
When Should You Go To An Omaha Urgent Care For Strep Throat
Individuals with a sore throat, especially if accompanied by fever or other associated symptoms, should consider consulting a healthcare professional. It is often too difficult to know definitively whether or not strep throat is present without a professional evaluation. Furthermore, there are other serious causes of sore throat that may require alternative treatments . Finally, consider seeking medical advice if a person has been treated for strep throat and has not improved within 4 to 5 days.
If a person has a sore throat or if they have been diagnosed with strep throat, and have any of the following signs or symptoms, they should immediately seek care in a hospitals emergency department:
- Difficulty breathing
- Bleeding in the throat
- Swelling or redness of the neck
Although some of these signs and symptoms may be related to a strep throat infection, they can also be indicators of other emergent conditions such as peritonsillar abscess, epiglottitis, tracheitis, or retropharyngeal abscess.
Where Do You Go Down With Strep Throat
Strep throat is contagious because a person can be easily infected from one another via coughs and sneezing. The most infected places that can make you get this kind of bacterial infection are usually schools, offices, household contacts, military barracks, and daycare centers.
As we cited above, strep throat is common between children and young adults. However, if youre pregnant and preparing to give birth to a newborn, strep throat will be one of your concern about whether it affects your baby or not. Dont hesitate to find the answer in another article CAN NEWBORNS GET STREP THROAT.
Don’t Miss: Do Antibiotics Weaken Your Immune System
Is Strep Throat Contagious
Strep throat is highly contagious. When you sneeze, cough or breathe, tiny droplets containing the strep bacteria go into the air and are easily inhaled by others. You can pass strep throat to others until youve been taking antibiotics for 1 to 3 days. If you have strep throat, stay home until your fever is gone and youve been taking antibiotics for at least 24 hours. Avoid kissing people or sharing eating utensils when you have strep throat.
How To Prevent Strep Throat In Kids
As with all contagious illnesses, good hygiene goes a long way to prevent the spread of strep throat. To help prevent strep throat spreading from infected individuals to healthy ones:
- Encourage proper and frequent handwashing
- Teach your child to cover all sneezes or coughs. Ideally, a tissue should be used. If one isnt available, sneezing or coughing into a shirtsleeve will do. Dont sneeze or cough into hands
- Keep an infected childs eating utensils, dishes, and drinking glasses separate from the rest of the familys. Wash them in hot, soapy water after each use.
- Make sure an infected child doesnt share food, drinks, napkins, handkerchiefs, toys, or towels with other family members or anyone else. This is a good habit to get into even when everyone is healthy to help prevent catching illnesses from others.
- Toss your childs toothbrush after the antibiotic treatment starts and the child is no longer contagious. Replace with a new one.
School-age children with strep throat shouldstay home from school. Children are very contagious when they are ill with strep throat, says Dr. Brayer. They canreturn to school when they no longer have a fever and have taken antibiotics for at least 24 hours and feel well. Remember that is a full 24 hours.
Don’t Miss: Best Antibiotic For Uti In Dogs