Cules Son Los Efectos Secundarios Posibles De Azithromycin
Busque atención médica de emergencia si usted tiene síntomas de una reacción alérgica o una reacción severa de la piel .
Busque atención médica si usted tiene una reacción adversa seria que puede afectar muchas partes de su cuerpo. Síntomas pueden incluir: sarpullido, fiebre, glándulas hinchadas, síntomas parecidos a la gripe, dolores musculares, debilidad severa, moretones inusuales, o color amarillo de la piel u ojos. Esta reacción puede ocurrir después de varias semanas que usted empiece a usar azithromycin.
Llame a su médico de inmediato si usted tiene:
dolor severo de estómago, diarrea que es acuosa o con sangre
latidos cardíacos rápidos o fuertes, aleteo cardíaco en su pecho, falta de aire al respirar, y mareo repentino o
problemas del hígado–náusea, dolor en la parte superior del estómago, picazón, sensación de cansancio, pérdida del apetito, orina oscura, heces fecales de color arcilla, ictericia .
Llame a su médico de inmediato si un bebé que está tomando azithromycin se vuelve irritable o vomita mientras come o al amamantar.
Los adultos mayores pueden ser más sensibles a los efectos secundarios del ritmo cardíaco, incluyendo una frecuencia cardíaca rápida que puede ser mortal.
Efectos secundarios comunes pueden incluir:
náuseas, vómitos, dolor de estómago o
dolor de cabeza.
What Should I Tell My Health Care Provider Before Taking Azithromycin
Before taking azithromycin, tell your health care provider:
- If you are allergic to azithromycin or any other medicines.
- About any medical conditions you have or have had, including the following:
- A problem that causes muscle weakness
- A known or suspected bacteremia
- An irregular heartbeat, especially a problem called “QT prolongation”
- Kidney or liver problems
Ask your health care provider about possible side effects from azithromycin. Your health care provider will tell you what to do if you have side effects.
Animal Infection Experiment And Administration Of Azm
AZM was dissolved in EtOH and mixed with PBS to prepare a solution containing 200g AZM in total 50-l volume. The final concentration of EtOH in the mixture was adjusted within 3%. Anesthetized mice were intranasally infected with 300 pfu of mouse-adapted influenza Apdm09 virus. Six hours post-infection, whole lung tissues from one group were sampled as reference control . Other groups were administered the mixture solution intranasally with or without AZM twice per day every 12h under isoflurane anesthesia for 3 days post-infection. The rectal temperature and body weight of mice were monitored. At different time points, whole lung tissues were collected from the treated mice and homogenized in RNAiso plus solution using a beads cell disrupter . The cDNA pools were synthesized from the extracted total RNA, and viral M1 and NP gene expression levels were investigated by qPCR.
Also Check: Strongest Antibiotic For Ear Infection
What Do I Do If I Miss A Dose
Tablets and liquid :
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
All other oral products:
- Only 1 dose of this drug is needed. If you miss your dose, take it as soon as you think about it.
How Is This Drug Best Given
Give this drug as ordered by your childs doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Give this drug on an empty stomach. Give at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
- Shake well before use.
- Use within 12 hours of making.
- If your child throws up within 1 hour of taking this drug, call the doctor to find out what to do.
All other oral products:
- Give this drug with or without food.
- Do not give antacids that have magnesium or aluminum at the same time as this drug. Talk with the doctor or pharmacist.
- Keep giving this drug to your child as you have been told by your childs doctor or other health care provider, even if your child feels well.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with this drug. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure this drug.
- Empty powder packet in1/4 cup of water. Mix well and give to your child to drink. Rinse cup with more water and have your child drink.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
Don’t Miss: How To Know If I Need Antibiotics
Qu Debera Discutir Con El Profesional De La Salud Antes De Tomar Azithromycin
Usted no debe usar azithromycin si es alérgico a éste, o si:
usted alguna vez ha tenido ictericia o problemas del hígado causados por tomar azithromycin o
usted es alérgico a drogas similares como clarithromycin, erythromycin, o telithromycin.
Para asegurarse que azithromycin es seguro para usted, dígale a su médico si alguna vez ha tenido:
enfermedad del hígado
niveles bajos de potasio en su sangre o
el síndrome de prolongación del intervalo QT .
No se espera que esta medicina le cause daño al bebé nonato. Dígale a su médico si usted está embarazada o planea quedar embarazada.
No se sabe si azithromycin pasa a la leche materna o si le puede hacer daño al bebé lactante. Dígale a su médico si está dando de amamantar a un bebé.
No dé esta medicina a un niño menor de 6 meses de edad.
When Is A Z
Spoiler alert: its not! Because its so easy to use, the Z-Pak used to be a go-to prescription for sinus infections. But it turns out that only a minority of these prescriptions are appropriate because the majority of sinus infections are viral and not bacterial. In fact, studies have found that about a third of antibiotic prescriptions for sinus infections, sore throats, and ear infections arent even necessary. Overprescribing antibiotics increases the chance that bacteria will become resistant to them and disrupt the gut bacterial flora for months. Indeed, azithromycin is no longer recommended for bacterial sinus infections due to the risk of resistance.
If you have a sinus infection, expect to feel lousy for several days. After all, your body is waging war against an infection. You might experience:
A runny nose
A sore throat
Youre also likely to feel more tired and achy and maybe even experience a low-grade fever. Most people improve within a week, but symptoms can last up to 2 weeks. Coughs can linger for a week after that.
Treating a sinus infection boils down to whether its viral or bacterial. Colds, for example, are viral. And antibiotics like the Z-Pak are not effective against viral infections. In fact, viral sinus infections have no cure. Treatment is aimed at managing symptoms and includes:
If you still dont feel better, your healthcare provider may suggest nasal or lung inhalers for other symptoms.
Don’t Miss: Can I Get Antibiotics For Uti Without Seeing A Doctor
Azithromycin May Cause Side Effects Tell Your Doctor If Any Of These Symptoms Are Severe Or Do Not Go Away:
- unusual muscle weakness or difficulty with muscle control
- pink and swollen eyes
Azithromycin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone .
Azm Inhibits Influenza Apdm09 Virus Activity By Directly Interacting With The Viruses
To investigate the AZM treatment condition that led to the most effective antiviral activity, we performed the following experiments based on four different conditions: post-infection treatment , pretreatment of cells , pretreatment of viruses , and treatment at the time of infection using AZM. AZM administration after infection resulted in a normal progeny virus titer in the culture medium and typical viral M1 gene expression levels in the host cells , as compared to those in the controls. Pretreating viruses with AZM for 1h before infection resulted in a remarkable reduction in progeny virus production and M1 expression. AZM administration at the time of infection also significantly reduced progeny virus titers to similar levels observed with the pretreatment of viruses group . In contrast, the pretreatment of host A549 cells with AZM for 1h did not result in a striking difference in both progeny production and M1 expression levels compared to those in the control group . The administration of clarithromycin under these experimental conditions did not reduce progeny virus production . These observations indicated that AZM interacts with Apdm09 viruses to inhibit virus activity in the early phases of infection. Both 1h pretreatment and treatment at the time of infection with AZM showed similar inhibitory effects on progeny production.
Don’t Miss: Do Bacterial Infections Need Antibiotics
Other Uses For This Medicine
Azithromycin is also used sometimes to treat H. pylori infection, travelers’ diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal infections Legionnaires’ disease pertussis and babesiosis . It is also used to prevent heart infection in people having dental or other procedures, and to prevent STD in victims of sexual assault. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medication for your condition.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What Are Some Other Side Effects Of This Drug
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your childs doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother your child or do not go away:
- Pain where the shot was given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your childs doctor. Call your childs doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to your national health agency.
Don’t Miss: What’s The Best Antibiotic For Bronchitis
What Do I Need To Tell My Doctor Before I Take This Drug
- If you are allergic to this drug any part of this drug or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have turned yellow or had liver side effects with this drug before.
- If you have any of these health problems: Long QTc on ECG or other heartbeat that is not normal, slow heartbeat, or low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you have heart failure .
- If you have ever had a certain type of abnormal heartbeat .
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal . There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this drug.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this drug with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What Should I Avoid While Taking Azithromycin
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, call your doctor before using anti-diarrhea medicine.
Azithromycin could make you sunburn more easily. Avoid sunlight or tanning beds. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen when you are outdoors.
Read Also: List Of Antibiotics For Dogs
Warning For Popular Antibiotic Z
From NBC Newschannel:
A new study suggests that one of the most popular antibiotics on the market for treating bacterial infections could be deadly among certain patients.
Zithromax, commonly known as the Z-PAK, is prescribed for all types of bacterial infections from ear infections to strep throat.
In the study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers at Vanderbilt University looked at the records of thousands of Medicaid patients over a 14-year-period. They found a 2.5 percent greater risk of death from heart disease in the first five days of using Z-pack other than using other antibiotics or no antibiotic at all.
“The study suggests that if you have heart disease or a serious heart condition and you take Zithromax, you really shouldn’t,” Dr. Mitchell Brooks, a Dallas physician.
But Brooks, who received a heart transplant in 2007 because of severe heart disease, said he is not overly concerned about the new research on the Z-PAK.
“No. 1, I would say, ‘Calm down,'” Brooks said. “The numbers are not that great — they are rare. You have a greater chance of having something happen to you if you get in your car this evening.”
Brooks is currently taking the drug. He said he wants to see more information about the study before he is willing to stop taking it.
The drug has been available in the United States for two decades.
How Should I Take Zithromax Z
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Zithromax Z-Pak oral is taken by mouth. This medicine injection is given as an infusion into a vein, usually for 2 days before you switch to this medicine oral. A healthcare provider will give you this injection.
You may take Zithromax Z-Pak oral with or without food.
Shake the oral suspension before you measure a dose. Use the dosing syringe provided, or use a medicine dose-measuring device .
Use Zithromax Z-Pak for the full prescribed length of time, even if your symptoms quickly improve. Skipping doses can increase your risk of infection that is resistant to medication. Zithromax Z-Pak will not treat a viral infection such as the flu or a common cold.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Throw away any unused liquid medicine after 10 days.
Recommended Reading: Best Antibiotic For Pseudomonas Uti
What Should I Discuss With My Healthcare Provider Before Using Azithromycin
You should not use azithromycin if you are allergic to it, or if you have ever had:
- jaundice or liver problems caused by taking azithromycin or
- a severe allergic reaction to similar drugs such as clarithromycin, erythromycin, or telithromycin.
Azithromycin oral should not be used to treat pneumonia in people who have:
- an infection after being in a hospital
- an infection in the blood
- a weak immune system or
- in older adults and those who are ill or debilitated.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
It is not known whether this medicine is effective in treating genital ulcers in women.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Taking azithromycin while breastfeeding may cause diarrhea, vomiting, or rash in the nursing baby.
Azithromycin is not approved for use by anyone younger than 6 months old. Azithromycin should not be used to treat a throat or tonsil infection in a child younger than 2 years old.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Azithromycin
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction or a severe skin reaction .
Seek medical treatment if you have a serious drug reaction that can affect many parts of your body. Symptoms may include: skin rash, fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, severe weakness, unusual bruising, or yellowing of your skin or eyes.
- severe stomach pain, diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, shortness of breath, and sudden dizziness or
- liver problems–nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain , tiredness, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
Older adults may be more likely to have side effects on heart rhythm, including a life-threatening fast heart rate.
Common side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting or
- stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Also Check: Antibiotics For Horse Hoof Abscess
How Should Azithromycin Be Stored
- Store vials of azithromycin for injection below 86°F . Once the injection powder in the vial has been reconstituted with sterile water and diluted, it is stable for 24 hours at or below 86°F , or for 7 days if refrigerated at 41°F .
- Store azithromycin dry powder for oral suspension below 86°F . After mixing, store the suspension between 41°F to 86°F . Keep the oral suspension in a tightly closed container.
- Store azithromycin tablets between 59°F and 86°F .
- Do not use azithromycin if the original seal over the container opening is broken or missing.
- Throw away azithromycin that is no longer needed or expired . Follow FDA guidelines on how to safely dispose of unused medicine.
- Keep azithromycin and all medicines out of reach of children.