What Else Do You Need To Make Your Decision
Check the facts
- You’re right. Most of the time, sore throats go away on their own. It may take a few days or up to a week, depending on the cause.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Most of the time, sore throats go away on their own. It may take a few days or up to a week, depending on the cause.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Most of the time, sore throats go away on their own. It may take a few days or up to a week, depending on the cause.
- You’re right. Taking antibiotics too often or when you don’t need them can be harmful and costly. The medicine may not work the next time you take it when you really do need it.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Taking antibiotics too often or when you don’t need them can be harmful and costly. The medicine may not work the next time you take it when you really do need it.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Taking antibiotics too often or when you don’t need them can be harmful and costly. The medicine may not work the next time you take it when you really do need it.
- Sorry, that’s not right. Most sore throats are caused by a virus, such as a cold. Antibiotics won’t work for sore throats caused by a virus.
- You’re right. Most sore throats are caused by a virus, such as a cold. Antibiotics won’t work for sore throats caused by a virus.
- It may help to go back and read “Get the Facts.” Most sore throats are caused by a virus, such as a cold. Antibiotics won’t work for sore throats caused by a virus.
Side Effects Of Treatments
If left untreated, strep throat bacteria may spread to other parts of the body and lead to complications. These include:
- Scarlatina or scarlet fever is a red skin rash that feels like sandpaper. The rash fades in about 7 days and the skin may peel.
- A rare kidney disease called poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis may occur, which is the result of your bodys immune system trying to fight off the group A strep bacteria. Among its symptoms are dark reddish-brown urine and swelling in the face, hands, and feet.
- Small scaly teardrop-shaped spots that suddenly appear on the middle of the body and limbs called guttate psoriasis may occur. The spots may be itchy but arent contagious. Usually mild cases can be treated at home, but it may be severe in those with weakened immune systems.
- Pus can collect behind the tonsils. This is known as tonsillar abscess. This happens when the bacteria spreads to the surrounding tissues.
- Rheumatic fever is a rare complication that can cause severe illness in the heart, brain, joints, and skin. It typically develops about 14 to 28 days after strep throat and can result in permanent damage to the heart valves.
What Are The Risks Of Taking Antibiotics For Sore Throat
Antibiotics may cause side effects, such as diarrhea, vomiting, and skin rashes.
Besides side effects, there are other good reasons not to use antibiotics unless you really need them.
- Antibiotics cost money.
- You will probably have to see the doctor to get a prescription. This costs you time.
- If you take antibiotics when you don’t need them, they may not work when you do need them. Each time you take antibiotics, you are more likely to carry some bacteria that were not killed by the medicine. Over time, these bacteria get tougher and can cause longer and more serious infections. To treat them, you may need different, stronger, and more costly antibiotics.
Best Antibiotics For Strep Throat
Dr. Umer Khan
Dr. Umer Khan
Medically reviewed by Dr Umer Khan, MD who is a Board Certified physician practicing in Pennsylvania. His special interests include wellness, longevity and medical IT.
Strep throat is a bacterial infection that can lead to throat pain, painful swallowing, and swollen lymph nodes around the neck. While strep throat is typically treated with a combination of at-home treatment and medication, antibiotics are the best way to get rid of strep throat.
If youre worried that you or your child may have strep throat, its important to know which antibiotics are going to help you start feeling better. Read on to learn which strep throat antibiotics your doctor may prescribe to effectively manage your symptoms.
Does Strep Throat Need Antibiotics
Yes, treatment with antibiotics is necessary for strep throat. Unlike ear infections, which are viral in nature, strep throat is a bacterial infection and will not go away on its own. If left untreated, strep throat can lead to serious complications, including kidney inflammation or rheumatic fever.
When taken within the first 48 hours of the illness onset, antibiotics can reduce the severity of duration of symptoms. You should start feeling better and showing improvement within 2448 hours of starting treatment with antibiotics.
With that said, its important that you finish the prescribed course of antibiotics to avoid recurring infections or developing antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Read Also: Whats The Strongest Antibiotic For Uti
Diagnosis For Strep Throat
Your healthcare provider can test if you have group A strep by doing a rapid strep test or throat culture. A rapid strep test looks for antigens, which are substances that cause your immune system to produce antibodies against it. The results can be ready in 10 to 20 minutes. However, the test may be negative even if strep is present, so a throat culture may be needed. A throat culture looks for Strep A bacteria. Its more accurate but results take 24 to 48 hours.
For both tests, your healthcare provider will use a tongue depressor to hold down your tongue and then take a sample from the back of your throat and tonsils.
Home Remedies For Strep Throat
In addition to getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of water, you can try the following home remedies, which are aimed at killing the bacteria that causes strep throat. Keep in mind, however, the only way to cure strep throat is with antibiotics.
Read Also: Are Antibiotic Eye Drops Over The Counter
How Do I Know If My Strep Throat Is Viral Or Bacterial
Strep throats are bacterial infections caused by Streptococcus bacteria. However, viral infections can also cause a sore throat.
To find out whether your sore throat is a sign of viral or bacterial infection, youll need to pay attention to your symptoms and the length of your sore throat.
|Enlarged, tender lymph nodes Bad breath|
Antibiotics are only used to treat bacterial infections. If youre not sure whether your infection is viral or bacterial, your doctor will be able to diagnose your infection and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Where Do You Go Down With Strep Throat
Strep throat is contagious because a person can be easily infected from one another via coughs and sneezing. The most infected places that can make you get this kind of bacterial infection are usually schools, offices, household contacts, military barracks, and daycare centers.
As we cited above, strep throat is common between children and young adults. However, if youre pregnant and preparing to give birth to a newborn, strep throat will be one of your concern about whether it affects your baby or not. Dont hesitate to find the answer in another article CAN NEWBORNS GET STREP THROAT.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get Antibiotics Without Insurance
Some Antibiotics Your Doctor Might Prescribe For Strep Include:
- Penicillin Unless youre allergic, penicillin is the best antibiotic for sore throat infection. The most common side effects of penicillin include nausea and vomiting.
- Amoxicillin A broad-spectrum form of penicillin, amoxicillin, may be more effective and convenient for some patients. A single daily dose of amoxicillin may be just as effective as multiple doses of penicillin taken in a day. However, amoxicillin can more commonly cause skin rash and gastrointestinal problems.
- Amoxicillin Clavulanate Potassium Amoxycillin clavulanate potassium is more frequently used to treat recurring cases of strep throat. Marketed as, amoxicillin clavulanate potassium is resistant to degradation or damage caused by waste products, such as beta-lactamase created by Streptococcus. The main side effect of amoxicillin clavulanate potassium is diarrhea.
- Azithromycin Azithromycin is best used for those who are allergic penicillin or have tried penicillin with no results.
- Clarithromycin Clarithromycin goes by the brand name Biaxin and may act as a good alternative for those with penicillin allergies.
- Clindamycin Clindamycin is effective for those who are allergic to penicillin or have a case of strep throat that is resistant to penicillin.
- Cefdiner Branded as Omnicef, research suggests that a 5-day course of cefdinir treatment is equal to a 10-day regimen with penicillin.
Empower Yourself: Boosting The Immune System
Know that you can eradicate strep for your family, at least in that you can keep it from reoccurring. You can also boost your immune system through the year so that you can keep strep and other bacteria and viruses away. The major muscle we use here to do so, is through ourmorning green drink, which I discuss here.
Adding vitamin C to this, along with elderberry during germ seasons is important as well.
To learn more about the natural remedies and treatments that are helping children overcome illness and disease, .
Add this quality green drink to your everyday regime for optimal health.
Also Check: Do Ear Infections Require Antibiotics
How To Get Rid Of Strep Throat Fast Without An Antibiotic
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
HealthTap doctors are based in the U.S., board certified, and available by text or video.
How Long Does Strep Throat Last
Strep throat will only last 3 to 7 days with or without treatment. Doctors usually treat strep throat with antibiotics even though they will not make you well any faster. Strep throat contagiousness will continue for 24 hours once antibiotics are started. With no treatment, strep throat continues to be contagious until symptoms resolve.
In response to the persistent overuse of antibiotics for strep throat, the journalCanadian Family Physician states:
symptoms caused by a bacterial sore throat fail to clear much faster when treated with antibiotics than they would if left alone.
It is certainly easier and quicker to hand out prescriptions every time than to explain and reassure. Each time we do this, however, we reinforce patients fears.
Do family physicians have to declare a conflict of interest in answering these questions? If we were to lower ourselves to examining the vulgar subject of money, it is certainly in our financial interest to keep many patients scared enough to rush to our offices whenever they get sore throats.
In view of the large number of antibiotics prescribed for sore throats, perhaps it is time to review whether we should be using such treatment for strep throat infections at all.
You May Like: Can Antibiotics Cause Blood In Stool In Dogs
Symptoms Of Strep Throat Infection
- Pain, discomfort or raw feeling of the throat
- Pain is made worse when swallows
- Children less than 2 years of age usually can’t complain about a sore throat. A young child who does not want favorite foods may have a sore throat. They may also start to cry during feedings.
- Other symptoms include sore throat, fever, headache, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.
- Cough, hoarseness, red eyes, and runny nose are not seen with Strep throat. These symptoms point more to a viral cause.
- Scarlet fever rash is highly suggestive of Strep throat.
- If you look at the throat with a light, it will be bright red. The tonsil will be red and swollen, often covered with pus.
- Peak age: 5 to 15 years old. Not common under 2 years old unless sibling has Strep.
Is This Your Child’s Symptom
- Your child was diagnosed with a Strep throat infection
- A doctor has told you your child probably has Strep throat or
- Your child has a positive Strep test
- Your child is taking an antibiotic for Strep throat and you have questions
- You are worried that the fever or sore throat is not getting better fast enough
Read Also: Which Antibiotics Are Used For Strep Throat
What If Strep Throat Comes Back After Antibiotics
There are two ways to find out why an antibiotic is not working on your strep throat. One might be that you are still close to someone who has reoccurring strep throat or a dormant strep infection.
The other reason could be that a particular antibiotic might not be working for you, for which you need to ask your doctor for another antibiotic.
Home Remedies For Tonsillitis
Salt and Water It is the most common home remedy for tonsillitis to gargle with alt added to warm water.This must be administered many times a day. To prepare salty water just heat 8 ounces of water to a warm state and add one teaspoon of salt.
Milk The pure boiled milk is another recommended home remedy for treating tonsil infections. You may also add turmeric powder and pepper powder in the milk before consuming it.
Turmeric Because of anti-bacterial anti-viral properties exhibited by turmeric, Make a paste of turmeric roots in hot water and apply it externally around the throat.
Fenugreek Seeds- A gargle made from fenugreek seeds is very effective in severe cases of tonsillitis.
OnionandGinger Onion juice and ginger juice are considered as best home remedies for various problems and tonsillitis is one of them. You can use the juice for gargling and reduce the pain in the throat.
LemonandHoney The blend of lemon juice with honey prepared in hot water is another great remedy for relieving throat from pain and infection. You may also add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
Don’t Miss: Is Herpes Treatable With Antibiotics
Are Antibiotics Always Necessary To Treat A Strep Throat
Although most Strep throats will get better by themselves, there is a risk of acute rheumatic fever and other complications occurring. The CDC recommends that all patients, regardless of age, who have a positive rapid antigen detection test or throat culture receive antibiotics.
Antibiotics have been shown to:
- Shorten the duration of Strep throat symptoms
- Reduce the likelihood of transmission to family members, friends, and other close contacts
- Prevent the development of rheumatic fever and other complications.
Viral sore throats should not be treated with antibiotics. Treatment is usually given for ten days and liquid antibiotics can be given to children who are unable to swallow tablets or capsules. Some patients may benefit from a single shot of penicillin intramuscularly.
How Can I Avoid Getting Strep Throat
To steer clear of strep throat and its unpleasant symptoms, follow a couple of simple yet effective practices in your day-to-day life. First and foremost, wash your hands regularly. It doesnt need to be antibacterial soap, says Moore. Regular soap and water can wash away all the potential germs responsible for spreading strep throat. Moore also encourages people to avoid sharing drinks or foods with one another, even among family members.
If you already have strep throat symptoms or have been diagnosed with strep throat, keep in mind that you are typically most contagious when you have a fever. Once you have started taking antibiotics, the general rule of thumb is 24 hours or two doses of antibiotics for most prescriptions before you are no longer contagious, says Moore. As is the case when trying to escape strep throat, handwashing and avoiding close contact with other people are key to be sure you dont spread your strep infection.
Read Also: Can I Buy Antibiotics At The Store
Seek Medical Attention Always
Strep throat left untreated can result in life-threatening conditions. You should always seek out medical attention if you believe you have strep throat. A few days of taking antibiotics is far better than the alternative: suffering for weeks on end or your condition becoming life-threatening.
If you live in the Baton Rouge area of Louisiana, Coastal Urgent Care has a wide range of medical services to help you. Urgent Care is open seven days a week from 9 am to 8 pm.
Contact us today to make your appointment.
Those Who Let Strep Throat Go On Away On Its Own
Because strep throat could resolve on its own, antibiotics are not essential to be prescribed for strep throat. In some countries, doctors even dont recommend their patients to use antibiotics for certain infections. Here, lets start to discover how long does strep throat last without antibiotics?
Indicators of strep throat often start between two and five days right after you are in contact with infected people who have gone down with strep throat.
The most cases that patients dont take antibiotics, the strep throat lasts for around a week. However, you then may be contagious which takes up to 3 weeks. The specific time will vary from a person to one another. It is to say how long does strep throat last without antibiotics? depends mostly on how strong or weak the immune system of that person is.
This period of one week or two weeks is true if your immunity functions well without going through genetic deficiency, genetic predisposition or vitamin deficiency. However, those who dont have a robust immune system, the contagion can be up to 6 months if antibiotics are not taken as medical treatment.
On the other hand, there is one thing you should bear in mind is that even when the symptoms have gone away. And, you feel that you could completely stay away from strep throat. But, without antibiotics, you can still be contagious despite the no symptoms have been felt.
You May Like: Antibiotics Used To Treat Staph Infection